Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring's Bounty

No, not Mother Nature... the sale on Spring Inspiration seasonal floral bushes at Jo-Ann's!

Er, um, I bought them all.  You just never know when you might need something for your tablescape.





Like now, when all my plans for March-April tablescapes have gone awry.   Last week I was so frustrated by no-show online orders that I didn't even post.  More on that later.  But the flowers arrived promptly and their bright colors make me smile.

I needed somewhere to store them, so I piled them into this dented old tin container my hoarder hubby brought home a while back.





Neither of us remember exactly when he came home with it, but I'm sure it went something like,
"Why did you bring that old thing home?"
"Because they were going to throw it out."
Well, what am I supposed to do with it?"
 "I thought you could put plants in it, on the patio."
"It will rust."
"Oh, well, I'm sure you'll think of something."
"Sigh."

The man's a visionary, I tell you.





So anyway,  I planned out three tablescapes for last week, this week and Easter, and ordered lots of stuff online, well in advance.   Store A sent my merchandise promptly, minus all but two of the accent plates I needed for a Spring tablescape.  What am I supposed to do with only two plates?  They're made exclusively for that store and no one else has them.  The packing slip said "6 plates, pending."   I waited patiently for those pending plates but they never arrived.  Finally I emailed them.  Customer service wrote back, "We're sorry, that item is not in stock. Please accept this gift certificate for your inconvenience."

Feeling perturbed that they didn't know the plates weren't in stock when they sold them to me, and didn't answer my question as to if they would ever be in stock again, I fired back a snarky email to the effect of "Why would I want a gift certificate to a store that doesn't deliver the merchandise?"  The Customer Service bot replied, "We're sorry. Please accept this gift certificate for your inconvenience."  Hmm, okay, so if I keep replying to the bot maybe I can collect enough gift certificates to purchase a major appliance.  This could be the start of a beautiful relationship.  I forgive them.





Store B is a reseller of discontinued tableware.  I purchased hard-to-find embossed/figural dinner and salad plates that coordinate with a popular set of china.   A week later I get an email saying there was a discrepancy with the salad plates but they are sending the dinner plates. Tsk, I need them both!  I checked their website and they still had 24 salad plates listed.
 
 I don't know what's going on, so I decided to Google the pattern and see if I could find them elsewhere.  Google found them on eBay. Guess who was selling them? Yep, Store B.   So I bought them.  Again.  For more money than the store price.  I included  a note saying these were the same plates they just told me they didn't have, and since I had to buy them quickly at the higher price on eBay before someone else snatched them up,  I was sure they would fix their error by refunding the difference, including shipping since they charge one price per order and I already paid shipping costs on the dinner plates.   Harrumph!

While I was out, their eBay guy...Elvis... left a message on my voice mail. I called him back and got his voice mail.  Over and over.  You're all thinking it, right?  So I might as well say it... Elvis had left the building.





Finally he calls back.  I'm nice to him because I want the plates and I want the refund.  Apparently the "discrepancy" was that the salad plates didn't have the English backstamp that the main dinnerware has.

"So what?" I tell him. I know these pieces are made in Portugal to coordinate with the English pieces. I wouldn't expect them to have the English backstamp. "Well, some people like them to match," he says.  I tell him they only have to match each other.. I don't own the English dinnerware, I'm just buying the Portugal pieces.  He listened patiently while I explained the blog and Tablescape Thursday and the need for expediency.  Problem solved, refund issued and the plates arrived today.  I forgive them.
 




Store C - I've never ordered from them before. They did not make a good first impression.  I ordered a ton of stuff from them...everything for an Easter tablescape, plus items such as chargers and hurricanes for these other tablescapes I was putting together.  All of it listed on their website as if it's in stock and ready to ship.

Then more than a week later they sent an email stating "the following items are back-ordered and we'll send them after we receive them from the manufacturer"... all of it. Every single item.  Obviously they don't keep merchandise in stock. They advertise it as in stock, but they don't order it until someone purchases it.  I replied to the email, asking how long they expected it to take. They didn't bother to respond.  I'm still waiting.





When it became painfully obvious that nothing was going to arrive in time for an Easter tablescape, I went to Mikasa.com and ordered the Italian Countryside accent plates in these pictures.  The order arrived in four days, and that was regular standard shipping.  That's been consistent every time I've ordered from them. They get it out super fast.   One thing that stands out in this situation is all the other stores took a week or more to even begin to read the order.  Mikasa was packing it up while I was still in the checkout line.





These plates can be purchased individually,  if you want all of one design, or as a set of all six designs.





I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so I got the set.





I had no plan in my mind when I ordered them, but when they arrived I looked at the flowers on the plates, then at the similar flowers in the tin, and thought, "Hmm, that works!" 

 
Thank you, Mikasa.com for saving the day!




Be sure to visit Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. Holy smokes!!!!!! That's a whole lotta back and forth with crazy people!!! Customer service is just nonexistent anymore. I know that online shopping is a convenience, but most of the time the customer service is just horrible!!! It's not much better in many of the physical stores. Either you can't fina a salesperson or the salesperson doesn't have a clue or the salesperson is just livin' in another world. Any way you put it, it blows! I long for the days when the customer was king! I'm glad that Mikasa came through for you. That restores our faith in customer service...at least a little bit! The plates are all pretty and go very well with your centerpiece flowers! It all worked out! Thanks for stopping by my place earlier today, and have a beautiful weekend. Hope your other packages arrive intact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was worth all the craziness! Your table is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table looks wonderful. Love all the flowers, so abundant and so fresh and pretty and it was the perfect centerpiece for those
    gorgeous salad plates, everyone so pretty and springy.

    This technical age we live in can be quite annoying to say the least. All these compterized phone systems where you have to talk
    to a machine makes me crazyyyyyyyyyy!! I love human beings myself!!
    and service, where has that gone to..........I do think it is making somewhat of a comeback because of our sad economy which is
    quite refreshing, but probably not online.......

    Anyway, all your efforts were blessed in the end, so that is a good thing.

    Thanks for coming by and for your sweet birthday wishes.

    Have a lovely weekend,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table is beautiful, no matter the difficulties you ran into getting those gorgeous plates. They really look nice with the flowers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous table settings - I love your dishes - just beautiful setting. Great pics - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I can figure out Replacements, but not the other. I order a lot from Pfaltzgraf, they shipped quickly, but didn't keep any back to replace damaged in transit!
    I do a party every Wed called Let's Dish! Great group of gals and we talk dishes. Stop by!

    ReplyDelete