Wednesday, May 23, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons...

I've got lots of lemons.  Three trees full.  My lot is part of what was once a lemon orchard so they came with the property.   Lemon trees continuously flower, so no matter how many lemons you pick, new ones are on the way.

What does one do with all those lemons?  You can only cook with lemons so often before you start sounding like the Bubba-Gump Lemon Company... "We're having Lemon Chicken with Lemon Pasta and Lemon Pie and Lemon Cake and Lemon Sorbet and Lemon Cheesecake and Lemonade...."



Not bad for a hundred-year-old tree, huh?

Luckily, my little community has a fruit donation program where our extra fruit is delivered to food banks, senior centers, shelters and needy families.  Besides lemons, I've given avocados, peaches, apples, oranges and plums when we have a good season.  As a whole, the community donates around 1,400 pounds of fresh fruit per week.  That makes me smile.





My next "lemon" is this week's featured dinnerware, Sweet Olive Designs Fancy Scroll Collection.  Besides being yellow, it's a lemon because I ordered it from One King's Lane two months ago and  I'm still waiting for the dinner plates to arrive.  After corresponding with three different customer service reps, a supervisor finally took charge and got the plates shipped off today.  Too late, sister, we've already gone to press.  I paired your lemon salad plates with Mikasa Italian Countryside dinner plates. So there!





And I put an Andrea by Sadek Daisy plate under the mug.





The blue spokes on the tablecloth are simply folded napkins.   They're lemons, too.  It was supposed to be a set of six, from World Market, but there were only five in the package and not discovered until months after purchase.   So they're a set of four, with a spare!





The plaid napkins came from either Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond - can't recall.





The goblets are Artland Iris in Citrine. 






The aqua glass charger is from Pier 1 and the flatware is San Remo.  





And that's how I made lemonade with the lemons life gave me!




I'll be joining Cuisine Kathleen  for Let's Dish and
Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

26 comments:

  1. How awesome to have lemon trees in your backyard but I can see how you would get overdosed on lemons after awhile. Sounds great that you can donate though. Love your tablescape. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you with all those lemon trees! I love your lemon-inspired tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to have lemon trees! I adore lemons and use them whenever I can. Those lemon colored salad plates are so pretty!! Wishing you a happy and safe Memorial Day.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can smell those wonderful lemons. Your table is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss my citrus trees that I had when living in Phoenix...nothing better than going out to pick your own fruit just before eating it.
    Beautiful table...love the salad plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh now that is what I call a perfect lemonade!!! Your new dishes are really pretty. I thought about them and then said no no no and now I'm saying sorry sorry sorry. Love lemons and your tribute to your abundant harvest is stunning.. have a blessed week and weekend. hoping your plates arrive soon. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lemon envy because I like everything you can make with lemons. Your table is so pretty too. I wonder if the goblets are still available? I think I will Google and find out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    I'm your newest follower :)
    I love these colors together, your dishes are just beautiful!! Thank You for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful night!

    (hugs)
    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a recipe for Melting Moments? They're one of my favorite lemony goodies. Your table is gorgeous...my favorite color combination. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really got me laughing with this one! For a table full of lemons (literal or otherwise) it sure is darn pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a wait you've had! I just love this pretty table. You are so clever to use the napkins that way. Your tale reminds me that I bought two packages of napkins a few weeks ago. I should go make sure I got them all. When I was a kid, I grew up in a house in an old grapefruit grove so I can really relate to the too much fruit. It is wonderful that your community donates like that. Beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty table. Yours was the first one I "clicked" on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My next door neighbor has a crazy prolific tree that feeds the neighborhood. I have squeezed some of my allotment into ice trays; after they are frozen I place them into ziplock bags. I have also used Thomas Keller's recipe for preserved lemons - something new for me. I use those on chicken, tuna salad, and salad dressings. You can see a video by chef John on his site at foodwishes. You can google for the exact site. He gives culinary lessons in 5 minutes. No scurvy in our neighborhood.

    Your tablescape is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your beautiful table and what a treat to have those lemon trees! We would be having fresh squeezed lemonade every day! Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the mixing of lemons with the flowers is simply done and beautiful. Lucky you to have all those lemon trees!susan at romancing the homel

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that table, everything is so fresh here. The table cloth and napkins are to die for! Mixing of lemons with flowers is simply summery.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful and lovely buttery yellow dishes!! The summer freshness is contagious, wish I was seating in that fab table. The tabletopper and napkins are a perfect asset to bring the loveliness of this tablescape together. Have a wonderful holiday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no idea that lemon trees continuously produce fruit. Being from the middle of the country, I'm used to everything dying in November. Good trivia for a future stumper! Great job with the table despite the lemons and because of the lemons! :-) Really neat idea to create the "spokes." They make the table really stand out and lend dimension. The lemon-colored plates are fabulous, and they'll be even fabulouser (my new made up word!) when the dinner plates arrive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they all arrive intact so you're not served yet another lemon! Have a great and safe holiday weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this is so pretty! The lemons must spell wonderful!
    Love the color combo, fresh and crisp!
    Thanks so much for linking this to Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope your plates come. They should know better than to mess with bloggers and their dishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh I love lemons. Where I grew up we had a wonderful lemon tree. I ate them so much my dentist forbid me from eating anymore, I was losing all the enamel on my teeth. I was so excited when I scrolled down on your blog and you table came into view. It's just beautiful. I wish lemons were a little more reasonable at the store. I'd love a huge bunch like you have for the center of my table. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely table! The lemons are so clever as your centerpiece and your china is gorgeous!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. When life gives you lemons use them creatively :) and be happy. Their sunshiny yellow color always makes me smile. And the thought of lemonade....yum

    ReplyDelete